The Collectabl Team is in the process of narrowing down our closets in preparation of our capsule launch this August! We're really starting to feel the power of minimalism as it applies to our wardrobes.
We want to help you narrow your pieces down, too, as we all work toward the goal of having a capsule wardrobe. As someone who has just narrowed down an entire walk-in closet full of clothes down to a single rack, I can tell you that I've been able to be more creative with the pieces I truly love to wear. I no longer dread getting dressed in the morning because all of the pieces left in my closet are ones that I love!
We know, it feels good to have a few extra items in the closet, but we are also coming out on the other side and know there's a powerful feeling in only owning items that are truly your favorites. Let's say you're nervous about biting the bullet to go through your closet and you're not quite ready to actually get rid of some of the items (even though you know you should). Put everything you 'might' discard in a box and set a calendar reminder to donate or sell anything you haven't pulled out of the box in 30 days.
Let's get started. This might be a good time to invite a friend over for a glass of wine and ask them to hold you accountable to your goals! Ask them to be honest with you!
Worn out clothing:
- Items that are no longer white, but should be
- Items that are no longer black, but should be
- Clothes that have pills or small holes/rips
- Bras or panties that are too worn
- Bags that have holes, handles tearing or random strings hanging out
- Jewelry that is out of style. Keep a few pieces that can be worn
- Shoes that are scuffed beyond repair, too stinky, or too worn
Things that don't fit:
We all know the story too well. You're keeping clothes from your past-skinny-self or your past-collected-a-few-extra-pounds self. We all do it! By the time your body changes, styles and key pieces may be different anyway. Let's make a resolution to be proud about the body we have right now.
Items that don't look good on you:
If you don't look in the mirror and think, "Damn, I look great/cute/hot/pretty/beautiful!", then it's a NO! Be honest with yourself.
Clothes you're never, ever going to wear again:
- We're giving you permission to get rid of the prom dresses, bridesmaid dresses or going-out dresses that you will never wear again. You've got a picture to remember them by, and you're going to want a new item for that next special event, anyway!
- University tees from your college days. You know what we're talking about...
- Clothes you haven't worn in about 2 months. Can you remember exactly when you last wore this item? No? It's out!
Where to take the clothes you're removing from your closet:
Chances are, if you're honest with yourself, you're not going to have a ton of pieces left at the end of the process. But, you will be surprised at how easy it is to get dressed everything in the morning if you're in love with what you've got.
The Collectabl Team